Lest we forget
On March 26, 2022, Minburn Osborne American Legion Post 99 and the American Legion Auxiliary held an Open House in Dallas County, Iowa, honoring World War II and Korean War veterans.
Minburn is in the center of Dallas County. The Legion post was named after Lester Osborne, the first Dallas County soldier killed in action in World War I in France.
The Minburn area is known for generations who served their country during the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Vietnam, Iraq/Afghanistan, and Peace Time; because of this Minburn was an excellent location for such an event. Pastries, fresh fruit, juice and coffee were served by the Auxiliary.
Special guests who attended:
• Mark Hanson, Kim Chapman - Dallas County Supervisor
• Joy Kidney - Author
• Nick Praska, Chuck Thompson, Don Richardson - Director, Dallas County Veterans Affairs
• Regina Chock- 1st District Auxiliary President
• Bob Appland - American Legion Post 737 Chaplain, Waukee
• Chris Boyles- American Legion Post 211, Woodward
• Commander Jennifer Monserud, American Legion 6th District Commander
• Chaplain Whitney Smith McIntosh, 6th District Chaplain
The veterans shared a military experience and received a commemorative medallion, patriotic cookie – donated by Julie Rees Goering - and fresh flowers in appreciation of their service.